Making a major decision, like becoming an Italian dual citizen, requires extensive research to determine if it is right for you. However, the required research can be daunting, making it difficult to understand the pros and cons of obtaining this status. Fortunately, our knowledgeable team at With_Papers is here to answer your questions and inform you about advantages, like property ownership and job opportunities, along with potential disadvantages, like taxes and the time-consuming process.
We are a full-service consultancy of New York and Rome attorneys with over 20 years of experience in international business, Italian dual citizenship, and residency law. We focus on helping Americans achieve their dreams of becoming Italian dual citizens by handling every aspect of the process with the utmost care and attention. Our dedicated team provides valuable counsel and utilizes experts, including experienced lawyers, U.S. and Italian genealogy search experts, and tax advisors, to give you a stress-free, smooth experience.
5 pros to obtaining Italian dual citizenship
Think of Italy – and it conjures up a lifestyle – coffee at the local bar, chatting up neighbors at the market, a swim in the Mediteranean sea, hiking in the Dolomite mountains – and just because, why not, a dose of culture – popping into a church filled with masterpieces from Caravaggio or Tintoretto as you pass by squares with architecture by Borromini or Bramante – food-forward, family focused, fashion-loving Italy. It can be easy to imagine a life with dual citizenship so that you can enjoy these benefits year-round. However, having Italian dual citizenship has other practical advantages, including the following:
- Property ownership: If you are an Italian dual citizen, purchasing property is much easier and cheaper. You may also qualify for a tax discount on your first Italian home purchase.
- Travel and residency freedom: Because Italian citizenship makes you a European Union citizen, you can easily travel around the EU and have the ability to live in any of the included 27 countries.
- Education and job opportunities: Italian dual citizenship opens up a world of higher education and job opportunities, allowing you to pursue more affordable schooling for you or your family members and get a job in the EU without a work visa.
- Healthcare options: As an Italian dual citizen, you can apply for the nation’s affordable healthcare system if you live in the country.
- Pass down status: Italian dual citizens can pass their status down to their children as long as no one renounces their citizenship, also giving your children the ability to enjoy the benefits of dual citizenship.
Whether you frequently travel to Italy for work, want to connect to your ancestry, or enjoy the Italian lifestyle, our skilled team at With_Papers can help you understand the benefits of living in Italy and how dual citizenship can make your life easier.
What are the cons of getting Italian dual citizenship?
While Italian dual citizenship has many pros, it also has cons that are important to consider when making your decision. Potential disadvantages of applying and obtaining this status include the following:
- Tax implications: If you own property in Italy and live there for more than 183 days per year, you may have tax implications. While there are treaties that generally prevent double-taxing, the laws are complicated and constantly changing, so you may need help from a tax advisor to avoid these payments.
- Lengthy process: The Italian dual citizenship application process can be time-consuming due to the documents needed, wait times, and consulate requirements. With_Papers understands this process and strives to make it as stress-free as possible.
Becoming an Italian dual citizen can be complex, but with the With_Papers team by your side, you can focus on your day-to-day activities while we handle every aspect of your application. And – once the process is complete, you can enjoy a lifetime of benefits.
Learn more about becoming an Italian dual citizen with the knowledgeable team at With_Papers
Becoming an Italian dual citizen is a dream for many, but starting the application process can be overwhelming. At With_Papers, we want to help you make your dreams a reality by guiding you every step of the way and informing you about the pros and cons of Italian dual citizenship. Our compassionate team listens to your story and understands your unique needs to create a personalized plan to achieve a successful outcome.
With over 20 years of experience and a founder who has been an Italian dual citizen for over two decades, you can trust us to manage every element of your case effectively. To learn more about becoming an Italian citizen and if it is the right path for you, call us at 917-310-2246 or fill out our contact form or schedule a free consultation today.