Italian citizenship by marriage
If you are married to an Italian citizen, you may have explored their home country and fallen in love with the lifestyle and community. Fortunately, you may qualify to become an Italian citizen by marriage, so you can share your spouse’s nationality. You may, however, be unsure where to start and feel overwhelmed by the complex process. With the help of our experienced team at With_Papers, you do not have to go through it alone.
We are licensed New York and Rome attorneys who have practiced Italian dual citizenship law and international business law for over 20 years. Our full-service consultancy focuses exclusively on helping people obtain Italian dual citizenship. We have access to valuable resources, including experienced lawyers, genealogy search experts, and tax advisors, to make your experience as stress-free as possible. Our Italian citizenship by marriage lawyers handles every aspect of the process with individual care and attention, so you can rest assured you are in the right hands.
What are the requirements for becoming an Italian citizen by marriage?
Before obtaining Italian citizenship, you must ensure you qualify for the status. The requirements for citizenship depend on your circumstances. Our skilled team works closely with you to understand your story and determine if you meet the qualifications for Italian dual citizenship, which include the following:
- You have been married for at least two years and lived in Italy during this same period
- You and your spouse have been married for at least three years and have lived abroad
- You must prove you have sufficient Italian language knowledge and obtain the equivalent of a B1 certification at specially-certified language programs
Same-sex marriages have been recognized in Italy since 2016, where they are registered as civil unions. Civil unions are afforded most of the same rights and protections recognized to married couples, including the right for foreign-born spouses to apply for Italian citizenship through their Italian spouse.
It is important to note that before April 26, 1983, foreign-born women who married Italian men automatically became Italian citizens. Since the same did not apply to foreign-born men who married Italian women, the applicable law was ruled unconstitutional. If you married an Italian man before that date, you may qualify for Italian citizenship even if your spouse has passed away or you are no longer married.
What documents do you need to obtain Italian citizenship by marriage?
In addition to meeting the requirements for Italian citizenship by jus matrimonii, you must provide certain documents before being granted the status. These documents include the following:
- Application form
- Original and copy of your spouse’s Italian passport
- Original and copy of the non-Italian spouse’s state ID and passport
- Original and copy of proof of residency in consular authority
- The non-Italian spouse’s Apostille-certified, long-form birth certificate translated into Italian
- Original marriage record from an Italian city
- Apostille-certified and Italian-translated criminal background checks for countries where the applicant lived since the age of 14
- Receipt for EUR 250 wire transfer to the Italian Ministry of Interior
- Money order for consular fee translated document legalization
Our Italian citizenship by marriage attorneys can help with the large number of documents and paperwork involved in this process. This attention to detail ensures each step goes smoothly to make your dreams of Italian dual citizenship a reality.
How can With_ Papers help with the Italian citizenship by marriage process?
While you can attempt to handle the Italian dual citizenship process on your own, it can be complicated and time-consuming. With_ Papers will allow you to focus on your work, school, and home life while we handle every aspect of your journey, including the following:
- Communicating the details of the process on a monthly basis so you know what to expect
- Creating a timeline for your citizenship’s completion
- Developing a personalized plan catered to your needs
- Determining the application forms you need to complete
- Gathering and organizing necessary information and documents
- Utilizing helpful resources to make your experience easier and keep you informed
- Providing high-quality counsel
- Interpreting rules and laws
- Helping with language barriers
We understand this process can seem daunting, so we take the time to explain each step and support you from start to finish so that you can make informed decisions about your future. With our comprehensive services, all your needs are covered. If you are in need of an Italian citizenship by marriage lawyer, get in contact with us for a free case review.
Contact the knowledgeable team at With_ Papers to learn more about Italian citizenship by marriage
Whether you want to become an Italian citizen to plan for the future or immerse yourself in your spouse’s family history and home country, our With_ Papers team is here to help you achieve your dreams. Our founder has held Italian dual citizenship for over 20 years, so we understand what it takes to make the process more manageable. With this experience and our unmatched services, we have helped countless individuals on their journeys to dual citizenship.
Our complete services begin when you call us to schedule a free consultation. We take the time to understand your circumstances to create a report that analyzes your needs, the costs associated with Italian dual citizenship by marriage, and the timeline you can expect moving forward. To schedule yours, call us at 917-310-2246 or fill out our contact form.
If you would like more information on how to become a dual citizen of Italy or apply for residency in Italy, provide your basic contact details in the form below to schedule your free appointment or write us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.