Italian dual citizenship by descent
Italy recognizes citizenship through the right of bloodline descent, not just birthplace. Therefore, if you have a relative who was born in Italy, you may qualify for Italian citizenship by descent, known as jus sanguinis. However, the process to obtain this status can be complex and time-consuming, especially if you attempt to handle it on your own. Fortunately, our experienced team at With_Papers is here to help you every step of the way.
We are licensed New York and Rome attorneys with over 20 years of experience practicing international business law, Italian citizenship law, and residency law. Our full-service consultancy focuses primarily on assisting Americans on their journey to obtain Italian citizenship, including through descent. We offer a stress-free experience with quality bespoke services, honest communication, and personal attention, – so that your dreams can become reality.
What are the qualifications for Italian Dual Citizenship by Descent?
Before becoming an Italian citizen by descent, you must meet specific requirements that demonstrate an unbroken bloodline. These requirements include the following:
- Your parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent was an Italian citizen and born or alive after March 17, 1861, the day Italy became a nation.
- Your parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent did not renounce their Italian citizenship before the next line was born or before 1912.
- If your Italian relative is female, the next in line should have been born after 1948 because Italian citizenship could only be passed down through the male line before that year.
If you rely on your female Italian ancestor for citizenship and they were born before 1948, you may still be able to obtain Italian citizenship. Our team can help you challenge this qualification in Italian court. We work with you to determine if you meet “1948 Case” requirements, answer your questions about what you need to qualify for Italian dual citizenship by descent and build a strong case to bring before the Italian court on your behalf. You will not be required to appear in Italian court.
Documents you need for Italian Citizenship by Descent
In addition to meeting the requirements for Italian citizenship by descent, you must also present documents that prove an unbroken bloodline. Often, the more distant the relative, the more challenging it can be to acquire everything you need. Our skilled team is here to help you understand what documents you need, which may include the following, depending on your circumstances:
- Birth, marriage, divorce, and death certificates for your Italian ancestors, which may include great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents
- Your Italian ancestors’ naturalization records or proof of non-naturalization
- Your own birth, marriage, and divorce certificates
- Two forms of photo identification and proof of address
We understand gathering these documents can be overwhelming to do on your own, so our With_Papers team can help you determine what information you need to get through this process efficiently and keep all your documents and paperwork organized.
How can With_Papers help you obtain Italian Citizenship by Descent?
While you can attempt to handle the dual Italian citizenship process on your own, without the help of With_Papers, it can be intimidating and confusing. We work with you closely to clearly explain the process and take the stress off your plate. Our dedicated team handles every aspect of your journey to Italian citizenship, including the following:
- Listening to your story and understanding your goals, needs, and expectations
- Working closely with talented professionals, including Italian and US genealogy search experts, and tax advisors and lawyers for Italian court legal proceedings
- Offering customized, effective counsel
- Overcoming language barriers
- Interpreting rules and laws
- Helping you understand what applications you have to fill out
- Efficiently preparing your citizenship request
Our seasoned team makes the Italian citizenship process easier by assisting you from start to finish. We understand you may have questions or concerns, so we are available to provide answers and identify the best path forward to achieve your goals.
Schedule a consultation with the Experienced Team at With_Papers today
Determining if you have a right to Italian dual citizenship by descent is not always easy, so you may need help from the skilled team at With_Papers. We are a complete-service consultancy dedicated to helping you achieve your dream of dual Italian citizenship. With our personalized approach, we create a plan based on your unique needs and circumstances, so you can efficiently and successfully obtain Italian citizenship by descent.
Whether you have the right to Italian citizenship from your parent or great-grandparent, our hardworking team does everything possible to secure a successful result with minimal stress. Our founder has held dual citizenship for over 20 years, so you can rest assured you are in the right hands when working with us. Our Italian dual citizenship lawyers understand how to make your experience straightforward and streamlined. To learn more about our services and Italian dual citizenship by descent, call us at 917-310-2246 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation today.
If you would like more information on how to become a dual citizen of Italy or apply for residency in Italy, provide your basic contact details in the form below to schedule your free appointment or write us an email at email@example.com.